The ACT is a standardized test that high school students take to demonstrate academic proficiency and college readiness. The test is used by colleges and universities in the United States to evaluate candidates for admission.
The test consists of four sections: English, Math, Reading, and Science, and an optional Writing section.
If you’re planning to take the ACT, you’ll want to prepare for it by studying and practicing. One of the best ways to prepare is by using an ACT prep book- which is a study guide that includes practice tests, review material, and strategies for taking the test.
Based on our research and interviewing former ACT test takers, we’ll share our top picks for the best ACT prep books.
Best ACT Prep Books
The Official ACT Prep Guide is a great resource for students who are serious about preparing for the ACT. And what better way to prep than to use material from the test makers themselves?
With over 1,000 pages of content and access to an online course, this book is designed to help you achieve your best possible score on the test.
The online course provides additional resources and practice materials to help you improve your skills. Also, the 7 full-length practice tests give you ample opportunities to practice your test-taking strategies.
- Includes an online course that provides additional resources and practice materials to supplement the book.
- The book includes 7 full-length practice tests, giving you ample opportunities to practice your skills.
- The guide is published by Wiley, a reputable publisher known for producing high-quality educational materials.
- The book is quite heavy, weighing in at over 4 pounds, which may make it difficult to carry around.
With this prep book’s comprehensive content and reputable publisher, it’s a solid choice for anyone looking to achieve their best possible score on the test.
Barron’s ACT Study Guide includes 4 full-length practice tests in the book and 2 more online, so you can practice taking the test under realistic conditions. You can customize your study plan based on the amount of time you have and work through easy, medium, and hard practice passages.
The study guide covers all parts of the ACT, including English, math, reading, science, and the writing test. It also offers tips for managing test anxiety and proven strategies for test-taking. It’s a fantastic study guide to help you feel confident and prepared on test day.
- Offers a diagnostic test, plus several more practice tests.
- Some students reported that Barron’s might contain questions that are unlike the official ACT questions.
This prep book is one of the most comprehensive, best ACT prep books you can find. With 8 full-length practice tests, detailed content review, and effective strategies, you should get well-prepared for the big day.
While the book is quite thick and heavy, it’s a small price to pay for the wealth of information and resources it provides.
- Provides 8 full-length practice tests to help you get familiar with the format and timing of the ACT.
- Offers detailed content review of all ACT sections, including English, math, reading, science, and writing.
- Includes effective strategies and tips to help you approach each section with confidence and maximize your score.
- The book is quite thick and heavy, which may make it difficult to carry around.
- The practice tests can be quite challenging, which may be overwhelming for some students.
ACT Prep Black Book is another interesting alternative to aid your ACT preparation. It provides comprehensive strategies for all sections of the test, including the essay, and is written by an experienced ACT tutor and test prep expert. The book is easy to follow and includes helpful examples and practice exercises, making it an essential tool for your preparation.
- The book provides comprehensive strategies for all sections of the ACT, including the essay.
- The author, Mike Barrett, is an experienced ACT tutor and test prep expert.
- The book is easy to follow and includes helpful examples and practice exercises.
- The book is quite lengthy, with 580 pages, so it may take some time to complete.
- The book does not include any practice tests, so you will need to supplement your study with additional resources.
This prep book is a great choice if you struggle with algebra or want to improve your score on the ACT Math section. The book is well-organized and easy to follow, with detailed explanations and plenty of practice problems. The practice problems are challenging and similar to those on the actual ACT, so you’ll be well-prepared for test day.
One of the best things about this book is that the explanations are clear and easy to understand. Even if you’re not a math whiz, you should be able to follow along and learn the concepts. The book covers all the algebra topics you need to know for the ACT, so you won’t have to worry about missing anything.
- The explanations are clear and easy to understand.
- The practice problems are challenging and similar to those on the actual ACT.
- The book covers all the algebra topics you need to know for the ACT.
- The book is focused solely on algebra and does not cover other math topics on the ACT.
- The book may not be suitable for advanced math students who are already familiar with algebra.
Buying Guide: Factors to Consider
When settling on the best ACT prep book, there are a few things you should consider.
1st, make sure the book is up-to-date and aligned with the current version of the ACT.
2nd, consider your learning style and choose a book that matches it. Some books are more visual, while others are more text-heavy.
3rd, look for a book that includes practice tests and answer keys, so you can assess your progress and identify areas that need improvement.
Here are some additional factors to consider:
Try to go for a book that covers all the sections of the ACT exam, including English, math, reading, science, and writing. And ensure the book provides comprehensive explanations of the concepts tested on the exam. But if you’re feeling a tad weak in one subject, then it’s ok to also consider a prep book specialized in that subject.
Practice tests are an essential part of any ACT prep book. Look for a book that provides multiple practice tests, as well as detailed explanations of the answers. The more practice tests you have, the better prepared you will be for the actual exam.
Study Tips and Strategies
Look for a book that provides study tips and strategies to help you maximize your study time. The book should also provide test-taking strategies to help you approach the exam with confidence.
Format and Layout
The format and layout of the book can make a big difference in your studying experience. Look for a book that’s easy to navigate and understand. Tables, bullet points, and other formatting tools can help you absorb the information more easily.
ACT prep books can range in price from $10 to $50 or more. Consider your budget when choosing a book, but remember that a higher price does not always mean a better product. Look for a book that provides the features you need at a price you can afford.
To summarize, the Official ACT Prep Guide and Barron’s ACT Study Guide are both excellent choices if you want a comprehensive review of all sections of the ACT. The Princeton Review ACT Premium Prep is ideal if you want access to multiple practice tests and detailed content review.
The ACT Prep Black Book is a fantastic choice if you are looking for comprehensive strategies and guidance for all sections of the test, and The Best ACT Math Books Ever, Book 1: Algebra is perfect for improving your score in the math section.
Go forth & conquer!